Saturday, October 25, 2008

Physics Faeries

Webassign makes me feel magical: there--I said it. I know it sounds odd, but it's true. Most of the time, it is a torturous task untaken around midnight and no matter how logical and careful you try to be, you end up with a page full of those infuriating red crosses glaring at you, yet the days when it works, it really works. Today doing the Work & Energy assignment I felt like a wizard. I don't mean wizard as in clever. I mean wizard as in magical powers and things contrary to reason occuring. Despite having carefully worked through each problem and understood it, it still appeared to be magic when the happy little green checks appeared.
Obviously I've chosen to take physics rather than psychology, but I think there should be some sort of research put into what I can only call the conditioning of webassign. There is some serious potential here for mind control. Webassign has caused me to think of things with clear rational explanations as supernatural! Computers in general, even, seem to be agents of regression towards superstition. We are much more credulous and we undertake the same action again and again expecting different results each time---it's clearly insane. Technology, the reflection of the future, is actually leading us backwards. How twisted is that?

2 comments:

MagyarNc115 said...

Amen to the red crosses..though rarely does webassign make me feel magical, I do feel good when I get it right.

Coyte said...

After one peek into the ETC during lunch, I'm not convinced.