Friday, June 22, 2007

At the Movies

Recently, while at the movies with friends, we made the traditional post-movie pit stop as a herd. As we squeezed into the restroom with all the little old ladies, who had come to see Ocean's Thirteen, I saw it. There were glow sticks for sale in the tampon dispenser. Yes. Glow sticks. Could there be a more unfit thing to sell in the restroom?-- aside from, perhaps, kittens. On first thought they seem very ill-suited for the slot, but there are similarities:

  • the size and shape is nearly identical
  • dogs and small children should be discouraged from chewing on them
  • they change color with use
  • they're fabulous for 3D mixed-media work

Ultimately, I had to see one. I had to own one. A Women's Room Glow Stick.


I rummaged about for the quarters, put my change in the machine, and turned the lever. Out came a small white box not unlike a pack of cigarettes. There were three tiny glow sticks inside. They weren't even at a size where the logical progression from tampon to glow stick could be imagined. They were a complete non sequitur really. I can only guess what the stock folks were thinking.


"You know what would make the movie going experience even better?"
"What?"
"Teenagers with glow sticks."
"I know just the place."



No comments: